The Black & The Red
We continue our Pride Month celebrations withBatwoman Elegy. Batwoman battles a madwoman known only as Alice, inspired by Alice in Wonderland, who sees her life as a fairy tale and everyone around her as expendable extras! Batwoman must stop Alice from unleashing a toxic death cloud over all of Gotham City — but Alice has more up her sleeve than just poison, and Batwoman’s life will never ever be the same again.
Next week between the supercomputer wired into his brain and the enhancements saturating his body, the living weapon known as Midnighter doesn’t face a lot of real challenges to his uncanny combat skills. Lucky for him, he enjoys beating the tar out of low-level bad guys as much as the high-end ones—and since his recent breakup with his first love (and fellow superhuman) Apollo, he’s had plenty of chances to engage in his unique brand of physical therapy. We’re reading Midnighter Vol 1 - Out next week!
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup coarsely cracked black pepper, plus 1 tablespoon finely ground black pepper
- 2 quarts strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 1/2 cups blanco tequila (20 ounces)
- 1 1/4 cups fresh lime juice (10 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon wedge
- In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups of the sugar with the warm water and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the 1/2 cup of coarsely cracked black pepper and let cool. Cover with plastic and refrigerate for 3 hours. Pour the black pepper syrup through a fine-mesh strainer into a large measuring cup.
In a large pitcher, muddle the halved strawberries. Add 2 1/4 cups of the black pepper syrup, the tequila and fresh lime juice (reserve the remaining black pepper syrup for another cocktail). Refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour
- On a small plate, mix the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar with the finely ground black pepper and the salt. Moisten half of the outer rims of 10 rocks glasses with the lemon wedge and coat lightly with the pepper-and-salt mixture. Fill the rocks glasses with ice. Stir the drink well, then pour or strain into the prepared rocks glasses and serve at once.